Blasts rocked the departure hall of Brussel’s Zaventem Airport and Maalbeek Metro stations, killing over 30 people, injuring 230 more. While the death toll keeps growing, authorities said the attacks are terror bombings and more undetonated homemade bombs are being discovered in security operations.
The Brussel’s Mayor Yvan Mayuer also confirmed that atleast 20 people had been killed following the blast on the metro. There are some 20 people dead and 106 people injured . 17 people are severely injured, “he said.” Large amount of smoke were seen coming out of the metro station in the Belgian capital.
Brussel’s Transport authority says all metro stations in the city have been closed.
ISIS takes responsibility for Terror strikes in Brussel’s airport and metro station
Islamic state has claimed the responsibility for the suicide bomb attacks on Brussels airport and a rush hour metro station in the capital city on Tuesday which killed atleast 30 people. Police issued a wanted notice for a young man pictured pushing a laden luggage trolley at the airport where two others were suspected of blowing themselves up.
The coordinated assault triggered security alerts across Europe and drew global expressions of support, four days after Brussels police had captured the prime surviving suspects in Islamic state’s attacks on Paris November 2015.
Belgian security officials made little comment but US officials said that while the attacks may have been triggered by the arrest of Salah Abdesalam, the level of organization involved suggested that previously been in preparation. Police operations were under way at several points in the city but a lockdown imposed immediately after the attacks was eased and commuters and students headed home as public transport partially opened.
Belgium, home to the European Union and the headquaters of the NATO military alliance, has sent warplanes to take part in the operations against Islamic state in the Middle East.